POLICE have thanked the community after an estimated 1,500 people attended an illegal rave near Corfe Castle.
The gathering – branded an ‘unauthorised music event’ by Dorset Police – was reported at around 10.40pm on Saturday (May 27), with an estimated 500 vehicles in the area.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Callaghan, of Dorset Police, said: “Officers have been working throughout the days and nights to ensure that this event was brought to a safe conclusion.”
Stragglers were ordered to leave the scene on Sunday morning.
“On Sunday, police officers gave a direction for people to leave the scene using powers under the Public Order Act,” Asst Chf Con Callaghan added.
“Due to the large-scale nature of the event, we anticipated this process would take some time.
“While the large numbers were dispersing, we have had to balance the safety of our officers and all those involved, as well as any risk to the local community and our road network during a busy Bank Holiday weekend.
“By the early hours of this morning, only a small proportion of individuals remained on site and the music had been turned off to minimise any further disruption to residents.”
He said the site had been cleared by around 2.30pm on Monday.
“Dorset Police will not tolerate unlicensed music events due to the increased risks and impact they have on our communities and those visiting the area,” he added.
“The distress and upset this has caused to residents and visitors is not underestimated and we will be carrying out an investigation to identify those responsible for organising unauthorised events such as these.
“I would like to send my thanks and appreciation to the local community for their patience while we took positive action to prevent any further disruption and safely dealt with this incident.”