Keep cats away from the sweet taste of antifreeze

As we head towards the cooler days and evenings, we need to think about preparing our cars for winter and it’s important to note that antifreeze contains ethylene glycol – this is extremely toxic to our pets.
Ethylene glycol is found predominantly in antifreeze and unfortunately is quite palatable to animals, especially cats as it has a sweet taste.
It causes various symptoms, although the initial neurological phase is often missed because onset occurs quickly after the poison has been ingested and is only transient.
Other symptoms include lethargy, vomiting, excessive urination, seizures and possible coma.
The main effect of ethylene glycol poisoning is overwhelming kidney failure. Crystals form within the kidneys rapidly after the poison has been licked or eaten, causing them to stop working correctly.
Death can occur within a few days, even if aggressive treatment to support the kidneys has been started.
There is an antidote for ethylene glycol but this needs to be given immediately – so if you have even the slightest suspicion that your pet has ingested antifreeze you must contact your vet for an emergency appointment.
Please take care to keep antifreeze out of your pet’s reach (up high on shelves in the garage) and ensure any spillages are cleaned up straight away.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *