A DOZEN vehicles were set on fire across Wimborne, Poole and surrounding villages in the early hours of this morning (May 15).
Dorset Police are investigating after reports of multiple vehicle fires between 1am and 3am in the Broadstone, Wimborne and Merley areas, as well as in Poole.
It is believed that 12 vehicles and one property were affected at locations in Wentworth Drive, Oakley Hill, Oakley Road, Merley Ways in Poole, Stour Walk, New Borough Road, Grove Road and Leigh Road.
Detective Sergeant Simon Austin, of County CID, said: “These incidents have affected a large number of victims in the wider Wimborne area and we are aware that this will cause concern.
“I would like to reassure our local communities that officers are currently investigating all reported incidents and are making every effort to identify those responsible. People will see visible police activity as officers are making house-to-house and CCTV enquiries.
“We are appealing for any witnesses to any of the incidents or anyone who might have seen suspicious activity in the roads mentioned to please come forward.
“Also, I would urge anyone who may have home CCTV installed in those areas and anyone with dashcam to please check their footage to see if there is anything of relevance that could help us.
“Additional neighbourhood officers will be in the area who can be approached for advice and support.”
Anyone with information should contact Dorset Police via www.dorset.police.uk or by calling 101, quoting incident number 55230073977. They can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
The Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said they attended incidents between 11.30pm on Sunday night (May 14) and just before 2.30am this morning.
- A crew from Poole attended a fire involving a single vehicle on Wentworth Drive, Poole at 11.35pm.
- A crew from Poole and two from Wimborne attended a fire involving two vehicles on Oakley Hill, Poole, at 1.08am. A second call was received at 1.15am about another vehicle alight in the same area.
- At 1.20am, a crew from Redhill Park were called to New Borough Road, Wimborne Minster following reports of four vehicles involved in fire.
- A crew from Poole attended a fire on Poole Road, Wimborne Minster involving two vehicles at 1.24am.
- At 1.35am, we received a call about a vehicle fire on Poole Road, Wimborne Minster which had spread to a property. Crews from Ferndown, Westbourne, Wimborne and Poole attended.
- A crew from Wimborne attended a fire involving two vehicles on Merley Ways, Poole at 2.26am.
Resident Darren Keats was among those who took to social media after the incidents, posting a video of the aftermath across Wimborne.
“What happened in Wimborne last night?” he asked.
A resident whose car was among those damaged said they were awoken at around 1.20am.
“We were watching from my window, there were bangs and explosions, with the flames getting bigger and bigger. It was scary,” she said.